BAHS Summer Rehearsals and Band Camp 2020
Band Camp (2 Weeks)
Mondays through Thursdays. August 10 through August 20. 9:00 AM - 3:00 PM.
Summer Rehearsals and Band Camp are located at Bloomsburg Area High School
Summer Rehearsals AKA "Pre Camp"
11:00 AM to 12:30 PM
Thursday, July 30
Thursday, August 6
**** It is expected that students will be in attendance for all of the following rehearsals as well as scheduled performances during the school year. Please clear any absence with the director well in advance of the scheduled rehearsal/performance. Students involved in sports will work out a schedule with Mr. Marmo and their coach ahead of the conflict. Always plan ahead and keep both parties in the know well in advance.
Band Camp - 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM located at Bloomsburg Area High School
Full Band reports on the following dates. **See below for details reguarding the Color Guard:
Monday, August 10
Monday, August 17
Tuesday, August 11
Tuesday, August 18
Wednesday, August 12
Thursday, August 13
**Color Guard's Schedule:
The Color Guard will meet with the rest of the band on August 10, 11, 17, and 18 from 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM. On August 12, 13, and 19, they will meet only at night from 5:00 PM to 8:00 PM. However, they are welcome to attend the day rehearsals as well.
**This year we will not have a night time preview show followed by the annual Covered Dish Dinner. Instead, on the last day of rehearsal, we invite parents and family (limited to 4 members per family) to the last run through of our field show. This will take place at 2:30 PM. Students will be dismissed immediately after this final run-through.
Regular Weekly after School Band Rehearsals - 6:00 P.M. to 9:00 P.M located at the Bloomsburg Area High School.
Begins on *Wednesday, August 26 until the end of the football season
What to Bring
- Hand Sanitizer
- All equipment: instrument/sticks/reeds/music/folios/lyres/drill/flags/poles/rifles/etc.
- Drill/Dot book and music - always. Yes, this is listed twice. You will receive drill/dot book on the first day of band camp.
- Pencils/highlighters for your drill coordinates
- Water bottle/canteen for on-field practices
- Eat breakfast before morning rehearsals!
- Comfortable weather appropriate clothes. See school guidelines on dress code and check the weather to plan accordingly.
- Appropriate footwear: athletic socks and gym shoes - no flip flops!
- Hat(s) to block sun exposure (wind players especially should wear one to avoid sunburned lips which will affect your playing)
- Sunglasses and sunscreen
- Insect repellant
- Snacks - Any food items should be sent in re-sealable plastic containers or Ziploc bags.
Commitment and regular attendance are necessary for the success of any performing organization. Any absence, regardless of reason, causes innumerable difficulties for fellow band members and invariably requires repeated instruction and drilling for everyone at later rehearsals. When a student is absent, they are responsible for all work missed. Please see a friend/peer and/or Mr. Marmo for help.
Attendance from Band Camp to the End of the School Year
- Band is a co-curricular course. Attendance is mandatory for band camp and practices throughout the fall season. The only excused absences are illness, medical, and religious. Students involved with a sport should meet with Mr. Marmo to discuss conflicts.
- Vacations and part time jobs are not valid excuses to be used during band camp, the fall season, or any required performances.
- Required performances – Any performance listed on the band schedule is considered a required performance. This includes all parades, football games, concerts, and marching competitions.
- Failure to attend a required performance without an approved excuse will result is a reduction of your quarter grade and loss of class award at the band banquet.
- If for any reason you miss the last rehearsal prior to a performance you may not be able to march that performance. This is for safety issues. If we change something and you miss it a dangerous situation might occur.
- Illness or emergency absences - Please try to contact Mr. Marmo by phone and bring a note to Mr. Marmo the next school day or the next band activity. Any unnotified absence from a performance due to illness will require a doctor’s note or the absence will not be excused and result as a zero.
- Absence due to schedule conflicts with other school activities such as athletics will be excused only if Mr. Marmo is notified and it is approved in advance. If it is possible to attend both activities, you should attend both activities.
- An excuse signed by a parent must be submitted to Mr. Marmo as soon as possible prior to the rehearsal or performance and must be approved by the director. Other than in the case of illness or emergency, which is covered in number 1, the excused absence request form should be turned in a minimum of one week prior to a rehearsal and two weeks prior to a performance.