National Art Standards
These standards provide a framework for helping students learn the characteristics of the visual arts by using a wide range of subject matter, symbols, meaningful images, and visual expressions, to reflect their ideas, feelings, and emotions; and to evaluate the merits of their efforts. The standards address these objectives in ways that promote acquisition of and fluency in new ways of thinking, working, communicating, reasoning, and investigating. They emphasize student acquisition of the most important and enduring ideas, concepts, issues, dilemmas, and knowledge offered by the visual arts. They develop new techniques, approaches, and habits for applying knowledge and skills in the visual arts to the world beyond school.
- Understanding and applying media, techniques, and process.
- Using knowledge of structures and functions.
- Choosing and evaluating a range of subject matter, symbols and ideas.
- Understanding visual arts in relation to history and other cultures.
- Reflecting and assessing upon the characteristics and merits of their work and the work of others.
- Making connections between visuals and other disciplines.